Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Two Years on AGtube

               On September 10th, 2012, I sat in front of the computer, trying to decide on a username for the YouTube channel I was creating. I had seen stop motions and other videos with American Girl dolls all over YouTube, and I had fallen in love with the idea of making my own videos. So I told my dad about what I had seen other girls doing with their dolls, and he showed me how to use his camera and create a mini-movie in iMovie. I thought of a unique story line, which included my dolls playing the video game "Lego Rock Band", and I taught myself how to make a stop motion. It was hard work, but in the end I loved it and I knew I had found my love for video making.
                    I then uploaded my first video to my dad's personal channel, which he didn't really use, and waited for my video to gain views. A couple of weeks later my video had gotten over 70 views! By that time I had already made my second stop motion (A Day at the Pool- an American Girl Doll Stop Motion) and I decided that I wanted to make my own channel where I could upload more videos. I deleted the video off of my dad's channel and I started to set up my own account.
                           As I was brainstorming my username, I thought that I wanted something catchy, unique, and that was memorable, just in case I ever became popular on AGtube (yes, I was planning ahead. I had no idea... haha). I didn't want it to be something with "AG" in it, because there were already many usernames like that. I wanted something that sounded as cool and unique as "Basilmentos" or "girloftheyearstudios". I finally settled on "FiveDollStars", since at the time I had five dolls and they were all stars in my videos!
                      I remember having so much fun creating new ideas for my videos. When I got my first subscriber, it was the greatest feeling in the world. Someone that I don't even know found this video that I made, enjoyed it, and pressed the subscribe button. I loved checked my channel every day for new subscribers and comments. Over the next few months, my stop motion skills quickly progressed after watching many other stop motions by some of my AGtube idols. I would take note of every little detail, and try to re-create those stop motion techniques. I kept gaining new viewers, and that inspired me to make even more videos and have more fun with my dolls.
                          Now, two years later, I'm sitting in front of my computer thinking about how far I have come. Not only do I still have my first subscribers who I would get so excited about, but THOUSANDS more. It blows my mind that almost sixty thousand people have seen a video or two of mine and clicked the "subscribe" button because they actually enjoyed that video, and wanted to see more. Sometimes I have to stop and remember that that number at the top of my channel isn't just a number, it's many different people who have taken their own time to click that button. I remember searching on YouTube "american girl doll videos" and I would see all of these popular videos come up. Now when I search that, I see many of my OWN videos, which is kinda crazy. I don't know how so many people have found my channel or wanted to subscribe, but I do know that I am forever grateful for all of those people. I never, ever thought I would succeed this much online with my simple doll videos. When I created my channel I thought I might have a chance of becoming slightly popular, but I never thought that I would be almost as big as Basilmentos. I mean, she was like a real celebrity to me at that time! I watched her videos almost every day.
                          Anyways, I know people always feel the need to make big cheesy speeches whenever  they reach a certain goal on YouTube or whatever they do, and I'm SORRY that this post is just like one of those, but I really do love all my followers and you all inspire me every day. I've made so many new friends and had so much fun with AGtube. Making videos has helped me discover my love for dolls, photography, video making, and more. I've met so many new people. I never dreamed that I would actually be able to meet THE Anna Basilmentos, let alone make a stop motion with her. I've had such an incredible experience with American Girl Youtube, and I hope it never ends. Thank you so much for everything, and I love you all. ❤







P.S. I was thinking about making some kind of video for 2 years, but I didn't really have time so I'm going to have a giveaway! In a few days you'll have two chances to win some very special prizes...

5 comments:

  1. I love your videos! You are one of my Idols on AGTube! I started about a month after you, on October 28th, 2012. Then I moved channels, on July 5th, 2013. I subscribed to you when you had, oh, 2,000 subscribers. I has been amazing watching you grow, experiencing your videos. You deserve all of your subscribers.

    ~Emilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! you deserve all of your subbie buddies! I hope one day, i can be as popular as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the stop motion video with Balisment. (I think I spelled that wrong.) I also just found your blog! It is awesome!
    ~Saige~
    mydolldays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your channel it has good AGSM

    ReplyDelete